Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Caramelized Onion & Blue Cheese Steak Topper

Happy New Year to everyone! I can hardly believe it is 2013. We had a quiet New Year's Eve at home as it snowed a majority of the day yesterday causing for some unfavorable driving conditions. I saw a lot of salt and sand on the roads, but never did hear the snow plows. I did make it out to the gym and completed my incline challenge, did some shopping at Super Target, and Old Navy; however, by late afternoon we decided to have a quiet night in. It was nice, cozy, and uneventful. Which is fine by me. After last year's drama with the car accident last January, our discoveries with our fertility issues, and topping the year end with more car issues my saying for this year is "a drama free 2013." Sure some excitement will be okay, but I am manifesting a more positive outlook in hopes that there are fewer financial setbacks, injuries, and stress.

Speaking of stress, which is a topic I don't dwell too much on in my happy little blogosphere, one of my New Year's resolutions is to hopefully stress less and love myself more. When you are dealing with life's daily stress topped with the fact that your body is not doing what comes naturally for most (i.e. having a baby), it makes it increasingly more difficult to believe in yourself. I am not an incredibly self-loathing person; however, this past year I've battled with myself, gained weight, and feel kind of in limbo as to where life is taking me. This is due to how I am dealing with daily demons and stress. I internalize A LOT. It is time for me to cut this crap out, saddle up on my unicorn, and shine. I've got a lot going for me, I'm grateful each day for my husband, family, and friends, my home, my job, the fact that I have a functioning vehicle, and I need to be happy for me. Who I am. I've overcome a lot this past year, shared my culinary adventures with you all, and am still alive and well. It is time to take that wellness, heal, and manifest the positive light that is me. It does not matter where life is taking me right now, that is life. But, I can choose to feel crappy or happy. This year, I choose happy. That is my resolution:) Pretty deep huh?

Enough of the deep thoughts and on to our lovely dinner last night. I realized I forgot to tell you all in the grocery list to buy blue cheese. I know not everyone has blue cheese lying around. We happened to have some in the freezer. When I buy more expensive ingredients, I use them sparingly and store them away in the freezer for future use. That way, when I am feeling like something a little more luxurious, I am not constantly spending money. Foods that are on the luxurious side include fine cheeses, finer cured meats such as prosciutto, bacon, etc., heartier cuts of meats such as steaks, chocolate, even butter. If I see that an item is dirt cheap I buy it, store it away, and use only what I need so I get extra mileage from my purchase. I also believe I originally said this steak was going to be stuffed. I thought about it and decided it would be much prettier to make a steak topper. See the lovely results...


I find that creating a topping for a meat is an easy way to elevate the flavors for any dish. Here I simply caramelized onions, used a sparing amount of blue cheese, and added a hint of freshness with some chopped flat leaf parsley. If you are looking for a simple luxury, but don't want to break bank try this simple steak topper.

Caramelized Onion & Blue Cheese Steak Topper

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small pat of butter
1 yellow onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoons cooking wine (I used sherry cooking wine)
2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Heat the olive oil and butter. When the butter is melted, add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until the onion begins to caramelize and turn golden in color. Add the cooking wine. Stir to break up any browned bits stuck to the skillet. Remove from heat and let cool at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. Add the onions to a small dish. Mix in the blue cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Divide the mixture over your cooked steaks. You can broil your meat on low for a few minutes if you prefer to melt the cheese a little or serve as is.

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year's Day. Good luck with the starts on your resolutions this year! Thank you for reading and stopping by:)

No comments:

Post a Comment