Saturday, January 5, 2013

Saturday Menu Post

Before we enjoy the final recipe of the week, I wanted to get the weekly menu post up since it has been in my purse for the last few hours. I was not able to locate soyrizo at any of the grocery stores near my house. So, I scribbled down a quick menu of recipes I've been wanting to experiment with, made a grocery list, including last week's soyrizo item, and headed out to good old Trader Joe's. Low and behold, I found my soyrizo to be able to complete the stuffed sweet potatoes. Great success!

This week's menu uses a lot of chicken; however, one recipe I hope to make uses boneless, skinless chicken thighs. The other boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I figure with the use of two different cuts, there will be enough variety that we won't get sick of chicken. Which I've done a lot in the past. I'm also not worried about using the darker side of the bird. Dark meat, once frowned upon, actually has some great health benefits when you remove the skin and bones. Recent studies from the department of agriculture have found that their are nutrients in dark poultry meat that actually might provide protection from heart disease. Dark meat also contains more B-vitamins and minerals than its white counterpart. Fascinating right? Anyway, here is the rundown:

Sunday 1/6          Slow Cooker Chicken & Date Tagine with Brown Rice & Green Beans

Monday 1/7         Leftovers

Tuesday 1/8         Chicken with Roasted Tomato Sauce over Zucchini Noodles

Wednesday 1/9    Leftovers

Thursday 1/10      Sausage, Fennel, & Pepper Gluten-Free Pizza with Salad

I am not planning on any recipes for the weekend, as we will be out of town to visit my sister in Omaha:) So looking forward to some great shopping! Here are the grocery and pantry items you will need:

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 oz. Italian turkey sausage
1 bag lettuce mix
2-3 zucchini
1 bulb fennel
1 lb. roma or cocktail tomatoes
2 yellow or white onions
1 bulb garlic (if you do not have any from previous grocery visits)
1 box chicken broth (check ingredients for gluten free brands)
1 jar roasted red peppers
1 jar capers
1 bag dates
1 bag slivered almonds
Rapid rise yeast
Eggs
1 bag 2% mozzarella cheese
1 bag frozen green beans

Pantry items you will need:

Extra virgin olive oil
White wine vinegar
Gluten-free flour blend (I use Cup 4 Cup or Domata with the xanthum gum included)
Granulated sugar
Cayenne pepper
Cumin
Dried Italian herbs or herbs de Provence
Dried minced onion
Garlic powder
Ginger
Turmeric

Happy shopping to you all! Have a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment