Saturday, August 11, 2012

Saturday Menu Post

"Back to school. Back to school. To prove to dad that I'm not a fool. I've got my lunch packed up. My boots tied tight. I hope that I don't get in a fight. Ohhh! Back to school..." ~Adam Sandler in Billy Madison.



I can't help thinking about this movie whenever the back to school season rolls around. New schedules, new clothes and supplies. It's like New Year's Day for kids and those in the field of education. It can all be a little stressful; but, that doesn't mean all that hard work you spent getting healthy over the summer has to go down the pool drain. With some careful planning and healthy choices, you can maintain that hot summer bod. For example, I like to stock up on portable snacks I can keep by my desk for moments when hunger strikes. String cheese for protein. Apples for crunch. Veggies and dip for a salty, filling snack. You can also make extra portions of meals from the night before to pack for a healthy lunch the next day. It is all about keeping things simple and planning ahead.

This week's menu is packed with super foods and can all easily be doubled if you want to keep left-overs in the freezer for another quick meal or for lunch the next day. I'm starting the week off with a light chicken picatta served over a bed of spinach. I'm doing a little preparation this weekend to put together my next meal: veggie meatloaf. This meatloaf stretches your dollar by using only a half pound of lean ground beef bulked up with a large serving a veggies. While I'm prepping over the weekend, I also plan to prep veggies for some chicken sausage kabobs we can throw on the grill in the middle of the week. Finally, to top off the first week back to school, I'm planning on a simple grilled steak with an Italian style salad. Good, clean eats that can be doubled and prepared ahead of time so you can have a quality evening. My goal is to make it to the gym 3-4 times this week instead of working away in the kitchen. Here is the lineup and what you will need:

Sunday 8/12         Chicken Picatta Salad with Garlic Bread

Monday 8/13        Veggie Meatloaf Muffins with Mashed Potatoes & Green Beans

Tuesday 8/14        Left-overs

Wednesday 8/15  Chicken Sausage Kabobs with Baked Sweet Potatoes

Thursday 8/15       Left-overs

Friday 8/16 or       Grilled Steak & Salad
Saturday 8/17

Grocery and pantry items you will need:

1-2 pounds flank steak, or other lean cut
2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (depending on if you want to double the recipe for lunch)
1/2 pound 90% lean ground beef
1 package sun-dried tomato chicken sausage links
1-2 bags spinach
1 box mushrooms
1 bag baby carrots
1 stalk celery
1 green bell pepper
1 pound small potatoes (red skinned or Yukon gold)
5 small sweet potatoes
1 head garlic
1 small red onion
2 small white or yellow onions
1-2 lemons
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
1 bag lentils
1 8 oz. can pineapple chunks
1 14 oz. can quartered artichoke hearts
1 bag frozen green beans
1 box reduced sodium chicken stock
1 bottle dry white wine
1 carton egg substitute
1 bag or box gluten-free rolled oats
Skim milk
Butter
Extra virgin olive oil
Ketchup
Dijon mustard
Corn starch
Dried oregano
Garlic powder
Salt & pepper

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're in for a good week! The chicken sausage kebabs sound particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now if I can just keep up with the blog postings...

      Delete