Monday, August 6, 2012

Good Times & BBQ Black Bean Burgers

This weekend my good friends Jessica and Hilary came to visit. I feel so lucky that we've gotten together twice this summer! We shared many good stories, laughs, and libations. I feel so blessed that we have stayed in touch over the years. You know you have great friends when you can pick up conversations right where you left off and finish each others' sentences:)

I apologize for the blurriness. This photo was taken via my new phone so we could upload it to Instagram. Love, love, love Instagram! 

After last months binge on my three d's (dips, desserts, and drinks), cream cheese, mayonnaise (not the light kind), and everything else that pairs with a dip, I am officially back to clean eats. My gut is already thanking me. One of the dinner selections on the menu were these lovely black bean burgers.


I'm beginning to feel like a majority of my burger photos include a side of sweet potato fries. These were homemade using a little bit of non-stick spray, salt, and pepper. I first baked them for about 15 minutes on 425. Then, I set my broiler on low and crisped the top of the fries for another five minutes. This worked out great! No tricky flipping of the fries involved!

The burgers were somewhat of a success. The meal included a lovely array of super foods. Sweet potato fries, spinach, mushrooms, and black beans all contain power boosting vitamins, iron, and healthy resistant starches. Justin said out of all the bean burgers I've made, these had the best flavor. Not too shabby for a healthy, vegetarian meal.

BBQ Black Bean Burgers
adapted by Self's Bean &'Bello Burger

1 cup portobello mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1/4 cup gluten-free BBQ sauce
2 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
4 gluten-free sandwich buns

Place the mushrooms and red onion a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Add the remaining ingredients to the sandwich buns, and pulse until roughly chopped and combined. The mixture should look like any ground meat. Remove the mixture from the food processor and place in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes so flax seed has time to bind the ingredients together. 

Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick spray. Remove the bean mixture from the refrigerator. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the bean mixture into the heated pan. Depending on the size of your skillet you should be able to cook 2-4 burgers at a time. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned, then flip the burgers and cook the other side for another 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining mixture until all burgers are cooked. Place the burgers on the buns and top with all of your favorite burger toppings.

Just an FYI for anyone following our baby-making adventure, I will be posting an update sometime today. It is taking me a little while to digest and figure out how to share our recent information. Until then, happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. I had a fantastic time!!! Thank you for letting us stay with you and for cooking all that amazing food!! :-)

    ReplyDelete