Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Goin' South


A week from this coming Thursday, I will be headed down to Tennessee with my mother and my sister Erin to visit my Grandpa Calderwood. Trips in the past were always filled with great joy as this used to be like our "spa trip" or summer getaway. This trip, however, is very different. My grandfather is passing. He refuses to go into a nursing home or hospice hospital because he wants to die at home. Thus, my mother, Uncle John, and Cousin Abbey have been making bi-monthly trips to his home to help take care of him when respid care is unavailable. I know this trip will be tough, very tough. It pains me to say it, but his days are numbered. I can't help but think though, of all the fond memories through the years that we have had with our visits down south. Memphis, The Peabody, the stinky papermill we have to drive past through Kentucky, the pool, running down long winding roads, and the Southern drawls are all so comforting to think about. While this trip will be one of the hardest, I know it will also create new memories. Memories my sister and I can talk about in the years to come.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your grandfather isn't doing well. It's never easy to go through this.

    ReplyDelete