Thursday, February 6, 2014

Bacon-Cheddar Turkey Meatloaf

So the Bear went back to work today. I, however, am on snow day number three. It is kind of like a bonus winter break, but I am getting a little stir crazy. This morning I did some paperwork I brought home. Now, the blog. I've been trying to think of some place to venture out to, but don't really want to work on removing the branch that has fallen on my side of the driveway. It seems these bradford pear branches only fall when there are extreme record setting temperature conditions. Remember my adventures in learning how to use a chainsaw this summer in 100 degree heat before attending my first hot yoga class? Fortunately, there is no need for a chainsaw this time, but I am a little unsure as to where to put it. Maybe I'll just drag it up onto one of the many piles of snow for now in hopes the city will get rid of it for me. Mmhe. Probably not a chance.

While I am running out of little things to do, I have been busy in the kitchen making some pretty great meals. All of this snow is causing me to make some of the Bear's favorite comforting classics. It has been fun to think of ways to make comfort food in a new, healthier way. Like these adorable mini-meatloaves:


Isn't it adorable? Here I've taken simple lean ground turkey, mixed in some sauteed onion and bacon, and added a little surprise in the middle- cheddar cheese! While meatloaf is humble in its nature, you can totally elevate the flavors by stuffing a little cheese in the middle. Serve with some steamed broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes and you've got one healthy blue plate special the whole family will love.

Bacon-Cheddar Turkey Meatloaf
adapted from Cooking Light

1 package extra lean ground turkey breast
3 slices center cut bacon, chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ketchup, plus a little more for drizzling over the top
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 sticks light cheddar cheese, cut in half

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. Heat a large nonstick skillet to medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion and bacon. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until the onions begin to soften and the bacon begins to brown. Remove from heat. In a large mixing bowl, fold together the turkey, bacon, onions, ketchup, salt, and pepper until evenly combine. Split the mixture into fourths. With your hands, form loaves and stuff 1/4 of the cheddar cheese into the middle of each loaf. You can pat the mixture over the cheese to make sure the bottom is sealed and no cheese melts out. Place in the casserole dish. Bake for 35 minutes. You may have to drain some of the juices before serving. Drizzle more ketchup over the top before serving if you desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment