Thursday, July 18, 2013

Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Corn Slaw

I've decided that tacos are officially one of the hardest foods to photograph. A lot of times, I will bypass posting a recipe if it a) does not turn out, or, b) the picture is not up to par. I know I'm not the best at food photography, but have improved in this area since I started posting recipes. At times though, I get a little hard on myself about it. The Bear convinced me that this was one recipe not to bypass just because I was getting frustrated with the photography. He said these tacos were just too good not to share.


So, you can thank my husband for me getting over my photographic criticism and posting this recipe:)

These tacos are a hybrid of two recipes. I am very fond of Kristen Porter's blog, Iowa Girl Eats, and her Buffalo Chicken Wrap recipe. For a while, I was making them at least once a month before I went gluten free. After going gluten free, it was hard for me to find a good substitute for regular flour tortillas or wraps. I've now discovered Sandwich Petals, but don't want to eat them everyday. Thus, I came up with the idea for these Buffalo Chicken Tacos topped with one of my favorite slaw recipes. It really is a match made in heaven and couldn't be any simpler. No need to heat your kitchen either! It's a win-win situation.

Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Corn Slaw
inspired by Buffalo Chicken Wraps & my Corn Slaw

For the buffalo chicken tacos:

3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons gluten free ranch dressing mix (I love Penzy's buttermilk ranch mix)
1 bottle gluten free wing sauce (I use Cookie's wings sauce)
1 package corn tortillas

For the corn slaw:

1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (I love Fage and wouldn't suggest anything else)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Zest and juice of one lime
4 cups cole slaw cabbage mix (about 1/2 of the bag)
1 cup thawed frozen corn
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
3-4 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

For the buffalo chicken tacos, spray the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the ranch dressing mix over the chicken. Pour the wing sauce over the chicken. Use tongs to turn the chicken and make sure everything is coated in the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Shred chicken with two forks before serving on the tortillas.

To make the slaw, simply whisk the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, sugar, lime zest, and lime juice until smooth and combine in a small bowl. Set aside. In a larger bowl, toss the cabbage, corn, red pepper, celery, green onions, and cilantro together. Pour the dressing over the veggies. Toss to coat. Serve with the tacos.



No comments:

Post a Comment