Thursday, March 15, 2012

Going Green

You might be wondering, "What is this elusive green beverage you've concocted today Sara?"  I will tell you it is not a cocktail, it can be enjoyed any time of day, is very healthy for you, and does not taste like crap.  It is a Green Monster!  If you have done any amount of browsing in the blogosphere, you've probably come across a couple of Green Monster recipes.  Some call it their "secret diet weapon" others enjoy them for all of its lovely health benefits.  I drink them because they fill me up and I get a serving of calcium, omega-3s, fiber, veggies, and fruit all in one beverage.  There are not too many smoothie recipes that can manage all of the above benefits.  Not even a meal replacement drink. 

I started drinking the elusive Green Monster last year when I was going gluten-free.  I was tired of my usual egg bake breakfast.  Oatmeal totally does not agree with me.  Gluten-free cereals leave me feeling hungry an hour later.  Yogurt, even Greek yogurt, and fruit is not enough either.  So, I put my fears of drinking spinach aside and started whipping up Green Monsters. Here is how I make mine:

Green Monster Smoothie
(adapted from Angela Liddon @ Oh She Glows)

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
4 cups baby spinach
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 tablespoon nut butter (I use almond butter or peanut butter)
1 packet stevia sweetener
1 very ripe, peeled, and frozen banana

Blend all ingredients together until smooth.  That's it!  If I get bored I sometimes add a cup of frozen strawberries to change it up a bit.  For more Green Monster recipes, check out http://greenmonstermovement.com/

1 comment:

  1. yum, i've been looking for a healthy smoothie to incorporate spinach, i think i just found it :)

    ReplyDelete