Monday, June 6, 2011

Experimental Fun


Now that summer vacation is in full swing, this teacher is enjoying one of her favorite hobbies...recipe experimenting. Since my summer resolution is to be kind to myself, this includes being kind to my body and giving it what it needs. I always try to eat a plentiful bounty of fruits and veggies, but every now and then, this gets a little boring. This is especially true when trying to consume more raw veggies. I do not suggest ever eating a salad or veggie sticks without a good dressing or dip. One of my favorite standbys for dipping in the raw is hummus. This weekend, I had planned on making my typical garlic and lemon version; however, neglected to buy any lemons. With the chickpeas already in my opened and in the food processor, I almost had a kitchen freak out moment; however, remained calm. I had limes. I had garlic. I had an opened can of chipotle peppers, thus my chipotle hummus was born!

Chipotle Hummus
2 cans chickpeas/ garbanzo beans
4 Tbsp. tahini paste
2 chipotle peppers, plus 1 Tbsp. sauce
1 clove garlic
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
Zest of one lime
Juice of one lime
Salt
Pepper
1/4 C. water, more if you like a thinner consistency

1. Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.

Yes, it is that easy my friends! Justin does not usually like my regular hummus, but loves this version. This spicy chipotle peppers also have helped clear my stuffy nose from this dang summer cold. I highly suggest serving this with veggies and tortilla chips. It's a nice change up from my regular hum, hah hummus!

No comments:

Post a Comment